This week we learn about attractive male faces, sex frequency, and organic, grass fed, hormone free, non-gmo beef.
- Listener feedback on Episode 8 math anxiety study:
- The happiest couples have sex about once per week, and having sex more frequently is not associated with greater happiness.
- Women are not attracted to male faces morphed to increase their Machiavellianism, narcissism, and psychopathy characteristics (which correlate to how masculine a face looks).
- Facing a psychopath: Detecting the dark triad from emotionally-neutral faces, using prototypes from the Personality Faceaurus
- Machiavelli (Google Image Search)
- Machiavelli statue
- Gaston (Beauty and the Beast)
Jaime K Devine has a Ph.D. in Neuroscience from Brandeis University. Her research focuses on how human behavior interacts with biological functioning, particularly between sleep and the endocrine system. When she is not doing science, Jaime enjoys wrestling, wife carrying and acting in horror movies.
Josh is a social psychologist with current research investigating emotion, intuition, religion, close relationships, culture, evolution, and outgroup stereotyping. In the future, Josh hopes to develop simple integrative models that can help reconcile the sprawling cornucopia of contemporary psychology. For the time being, however, he enjoys a predoctorate lab manager post at University of Maryland.
Ian is a neuroscience PhD candidate at McGill University in Montreal, doing neuropsychiatry research in the McGill Group for Suicide Studies at the Douglas Mental Health University Institute. He also does science writing and outreach, and his primary interests for all three are how the brain regulates emotions, and what happens when this regulation goes awry.